Sunday, October 26

No Name’s Cover Up

It is really sad to say but we still have not thought of any names that both Michael and I like for the frogs. We did finally decided of a name for the girl late tonight but for the boy we just can’t seem to find anything that really fits him. But I did one really good thing for the frogs today. I made them a cover for their tank so that they will not get cold at night. Here is the situation: Michael and I have to leave on the little frog’s tank light all of the time or else the little girl frog becomes really cold and in the morning looks really pale (mostly white) and sick. It takes her a good part of the day to finally get to her normal pale color back from having their light off all night. So to make sure that she won’t get this sick again from the cold, we have been leaving the light on. Well it created an entirely new problem for Michael and me. We can’t sleep with the light on! So, of course, we had to fix the new problem right away or else no sleep for us again. Michael came up with the idea to make a cover for them so that it will keep the room dark and they can have their light on and a little extra warmth from the cover. As you can see the tank is really small so you would think that it doesn’t put out a lot of light but boy would you be wrong about that. It really lights up the room especially when your head is close by it. Michael came up with the idea of the cover but I was the lucky one to design and sew it together.
This is what I have come up with. Because it is mostly for our little girl frog it just had to be pink! I know that it looks a little big for the tank but it really does fit it great. The reason that it looks big is because the bottom of the tank is actually smaller then the top and to fit over the top of the tank I had to make it the same size all around. I added the ties to hold it up so that it wouldn't slide down but it stands up so well that it really doesn't need them but it just looks nicer with them. Something really funny though, while I was cutting out fabric Hope wanted to see what I was doing. Well she came over and recognized that they fabric was the exact same that I had used on her blanket that I made her (it was all of the left over fabric that I had from her blanket). So she thought that whatever I was making was for her so of course she just lays on all of the fabric and wouldn't not get off. I finally had to tell her to go to her bed and enjoy her blanket and share the fabric with her animal siblings. She really does like the cover for them and she is fine sharing now but it sure was hard for her to do that. She really is a very funny little doggy.
Alright, yes the cover was made for the girl but she has to share her tank with a boy and it is only fair that I make the cover reversible so that he doesn't have to stare at pink all of the time. I figure that they can alternate every night. It was hard at first to think of a way to make the cover reversible and still look well made but I am so grateful that a idea finally came into my head last night as I was trying to fall asleep with their light blaring into my face. Tonight is a very exciting night because we get to test it and see how well it will work. I really do hope that it all turns out great and everyone can be happy again.

Update:
Well the cover was tested out last night like I said we would do and it works well enough. It didn’t block out all of the light but it had a nice soft glow like a night light so it works well enough for Michael and me to finally get some sleep. It is also nice because now I can see hope in the dark and if she needs anything I will be able to find her. The frogs liked the privacy too which I wouldn’t have thought anything of that but the boy sure did like some alone time. It also helped him to settle down enough to finally get some sleep. Normally he is the party animal and just wants to play and swim all of the time so I guess with having nothing to look at he could finally get some rest. It worked great for our little girl frog in that she had a wonderful color look to her this morning and she also was a lot more active in swimming around. So over all it was a good success for the family and I am grateful that Michael had such a wonderful idea.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That cover looks great!!! Those are some lucky little frogs!!! I wish I could sew as well as you do. I don't sew straight very well. Good Job. I'm glad you made it reversible too that way the girl and the boy frog can be happy. What did you name the girl frog? I have a name for the boy frog:) Can you guess what it is?

Monica said...

They sure are really lucky frogs and I just love them a ton. I have also seen some of the things that you have sewn and you do just fine too. I'm not going to say the name of the girl frog until we have a name for the boy frog. I have no idea what your name for him would be for him except maybe Peter or Jeremiah?