I don't think that I realized that having a bit of land also meant that you get to take care of it. Like I know that you have to take care of it but it is a little bit harder then what I thought. I was actually kind of expecting it to be like how it was at my parents house. The dirt there was great because you just dig a hole put in the plant, water it and it does fine. Here it is a bit more difficult then that. You TRY to dig a hole but really can not because you have a ton of tree roots that are everywhere in the ground (we have three pine trees in our area). Then if you do make it past the roots you have to deal with some really big rocks. We were only able to get down three inches before we started to hit all of those things. I felt really bad for Michael because he was the one that was doing all of the digging while I tried to pick the rocks out. Then while I waited for him to try and get more dirt out of the hole we were trying to make I raked up all of the pine needles that are killing the grass. While we were doing this yesterday night Michael decided that he would cook dinner outside on our little BBQ.
We got this as a wedding gift. For some reason though it was just not working that well last night. It also got very dark outside a lot sooner then what I expected but then when I looked at the clock I couldn't believe how little we had done in the amount of time that we were outside. The hard part was when I had to ask Michael what he wanted to do. I knew that the people that mow the lawn where going to be coming the next day (today) and that we could not leave our dirt mess around. Which meant we would have to fill up the hole that we had been working so hard to make. Michael wasn't happy about that and he still wanted to continue but the more I talked to him the more he realized that I was right and that we would have to stop for the night and fill the hole up. Here is what the area looks like that we had to fill up.
I know that it doesn't look like much at all but it will soon enough (I hope). I wet down the area a little this morning to see if it would help make it a little easier to dig up later on today. The reason that we are also trying to work so hard to get the front done (or at least this area) is that we are going to be having some company coming over for dinner in a couple of weeks so I would like the front to look better then what it does now (at least that is one of my reasons). I also just want it to look nice and feel more homey too. I hate to just look at the dirt and dead grass. I am sure grateful that Michael has such a green thumb when it comes to things like this. We did get some really pretty plants yesterday to put in this spot.
The plants here are in the order that I am going to have them in front of our fence (where we are digging). Now don't ask me the names of these plants because I really don't know except for the Lilly's. The Lilly's are the pretty big pink flowers. All of these bloom about the same time too so it will be really pretty when that happens. I am just glad that they have got some good height to them so that it will help cut some of the ugliness of the fence. I did have to also organize the patio so that I could put the plants here last night.
I think it turned out good and at least it looks nice and organized to a extent. It sure is going to be a lot of work to try and fix up the front. I am starting to think that all of the people that ever lived in this apartment before us did not care about having a nice clean looking home. Since the inside of the house smelt bad when we got here and now the yard is just a total mess. I really don't understand how someone could let it get that bad and not care. At least we were able to finally get rid of the bad smell and I am sure with time we will get this yard looking really good too.
No comments:
Post a Comment