Saturday, July 4

From Roots & Rocks To Flowers

For this week the yard work consumed most of the free time that Michael and I had in the evening. When we worked in the yard we had to go fast because we only get so many hours before nightfall and it is way to dark to see. If you remember the last time I told you how we didn't get very far because of all the rocks and roots right? Well, it was far worse this time because the roots were much bigger and so were the rocks.Here you can see the dirt that we have turned up. The dirt hill that is to the far right is all clean dirt. I say clean in that it doesn't have any roots or rocks in it that will bother the new plants that we will be putting in. The dirt hill that is next to it on the left is dirt that I still needed to check to make sure that I got everything. You can also see our collection of rocks and roots in the corner of the picture too.This picture makes our collection look tiny! It was really big and if you were in person you would think so too I am sure. This was not all that we got out of the flower bed. We had about five piles in total just from the one flower bed (we have two more left to do).Hope was a really good dog in watching us to make sure that we were doing our work right. What a great supervisor (wish I had that job at the time).When we had finally got all of the rocks and roots out to my satisfactory we put in a plastic edger. We had a neighbor tell us that one of the reasons the person before us moved out is because in the winter they had a real problem with mud coming to the front door. It is no wonder why that is because if you could see our yard you would notice that the ground slops off in our apartments direction. Whoever built this place was not totally thinking. So we thought the edger would be a good way to keep the dirt where it belonged. The sad part is that we will not know if it worked until this winter.Finally! The best part of all that hard work was putting in our new plants. I think that they turned out really good and I love how we have them arranged too. I love how the Lily's were blooming when we got them into the ground. We have had to cute the flowers off because the plants are struggling a little and so we want them to focus more on staying alive then producing a pretty flower. Now if you are a big gardener and are wondering what are the real names of the plants here it is (I kept the tags so I could tell you). Starting from the left: Hibiscus European Series (the tree looking thing), Ruby Sensation Calla Lily (the smallest plant), Lily Orientals San Pedro, (the blooming plant). I am sure that eventually we will get some more plants so that it doesn't look so empty. At least this next time that we plant anything it will be a lot easier to put it into this flower bed.

No comments: