Wednesday, April 15

Birthday Party For Dad

With the end hunt done and all of the pictures that were taken of the kids we ate our Easter dinner and then had my dad's birthday party. His birthday was really on the next day but we had it on Sunday because that was when most of the family was together. Only my brothers were missing and that is because one lives far away and the other is at college. I was really excited to see my dad's reaction to what one of my sisters was giving him. I also had a really fun gift for my dad but nothing like hers. Before we started singing the happy birthday song to my dad he comment about not having a cake (even though we were going to be eating angels food cake) and candles to blow out. It was really funny but my sister (who was the one to give him the totally cool gift) got a match and held it up for him to blow out. The match when out, twice, before he could blow on it and even then he really didn't get too. Now time for the gifts and the fun!Dad is trying to open up my gift and he asked me why I had it wrapped so tight. It was the only way to hold the paper down! I'm not kidding! I will never use that wrapping paper again even though it is really pretty you have to tape every inch of it so that it wont open itself up. This one was just from me to dad. Michael and I had another gift for him that was from both of us and I did not use this wrapping paper for it either.The gift that I gave to my dad, myself, was a tie. I know that it sounds really lame but I really liked what the tie said and I thought that it fit my opinion of my dad perfectly. The tie said, "My Friend, My Hero, My Dad." Everyone said that I should have used it for fathers day but I really couldn't wait to give it to him. The other gift that we gave to my father was a foam airplane. Dad laughed really good about that because every time our family has one of those it always gets lost by flying to far or up (in a tree).I'm sorry but I am going to jump to (what I think is) the best part of my dad's birthday, my sister's gift. Not to say that the other gifts he got weren't good, they were, it is just that this one was really special. As you can see it was in a very big box and for a good reason too if you could see what was inside of the box.As you can see he is holding a couple of DVD movies. What is really cool about this is that the DVD movies is all of our family home movies that my dad took over several years (more then 20 years) on VHS. My sister spent hours converting them to DVD for my dad. You can read about her view/story of doing the converting on her Thankful Thursday list that she does every week. It is the last one on the list that talks about dads birthday (click on the words Thankful Thursday ). It took a ton of work finding all of the tapes and putting them in order. Dad really loved the gift, especially with him also trying to get old tapes to DVD's now so there really was no better/priceless gift then this. Totally something that you would never find in the stores (or at least I hope not).My sister said that Matty had informed her that he was sick of watching his mother as a little girl. I love this picture of him trying to get his grandpa's attention because he wanted to go outside and play with the foam airplane. To kind of help out with Matty, Michael and I put the plane together with Matty helping to put on the stickers. Matty did accidentally push a little to hard with one of the stickers and broke the tail end wing. He felt so bad but we told him not to worry about it because we could just tape it together. Matty was so insistent that he had to go tell his grandpa that he broke his plane but we were able to keep him with us (even though he looked like he was going to cry, he felt so bad). We showed him how we had fixed the plane and that we were going to take it outside while we waited for grandpa.With the plane now outside, Hope quickly investigated. When Michael and I got it we kept on joking about how we would be throwing the plane and she would run after it and try to catch it in the air and then shake it to bits. In reality, however, she seemed to actually be a little nerves of it and she stayed clear of it except for this little moment when she was trying to figure out what it was. I think once she realized that it wasn't for her she didn't care about it and wasn't scared of it anymore either. We also took Matty's bubbles that he got from the Easter bunny outside while we waited and that seemed to do the trick the most for getting his mind off of the broken/fixed tail wing.

.
Matty and Hope had a wonderful time popping the bubbles. This was actually another first for Hope too, she has never played with bubbles before (at least what I know of). I was really hoping that she would react to them the way she did in the video. I still can not believe how high Hope would jump to get at the bubbles. I did love it at the end of the video when Matty said that he was done with the bubbles, hes so cute!You can see that Hope really got into the bubbles. I think that we will have to get her those dog flavored bubbles one day since she liked it that much. Once when dad came out Matty was totally ready to play with the airplane.My dad did have to show Matty how to throw the plane and it did take him a little while to figure out how to do it just right. I think that it was also a little hard for him because the wind was being really unpredictable too. It was really cool when Matty got a really good throw and the plane was going good but then it turned back around and you will not believe where it landed.That is right in the neighbors tree, lol. The first person to get the plane stuck in a tree is a three year old, so funny! Matty was really cute when he kept on tell my dad to not get hurt getting the plane. You really couldn't ask for a sweeter boy then him.I told Matty to give me a thumbs up for being the first person to get the plane stuck in the tree. After we got the plane out of the tree it seemed like everyone that threw it wanted to be just like Matty. At least every time we were able to get the plane out with only a few very close calls.Emi also got a turn to toss the plane down the hill. She was the only one to not get it stuck in a tree I believe. Sean is showing her how to throw it in this picture. I sure am glad that we got dad a really great gift that he can enjoy it with everyone else. As long as they also try to stay clear of trees.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is really cool. I have secretly always wanted one of those planes. Happy Birthday Monica's Dad!!!

Monica said...

You should so go and get one. They really don't cost that much at all and provide hours of fun.

Jimmy said...

Hope played with bubbles at my house!

Monica said...

You never told me that Hope played with bubbles at your house! How did she do? What was her reaction at them first? How long did you play with them together?