Memorial Day, morning, we finally started to unload the Uhaul truck. We were told that several brethren from the ward would be coming over to help us. Michael and I were so excited that we got the truck all ready to unload a half hour early and started doing some of the smaller things ourselves. Only one brethren from the ward came. The missionaries actually were kind enough to show up as well to help us (and it wasn't even a P day for them so they were in suits). Then Michael's parents came and helped out as well. It didn't take as long to unload as it did to load the thing but once it was empty everyone took off for their homes. The only item that was really hard to get into the apartment was our couch because that thing is so big. We had to get it to come in at a funny angle and take the front door off and even the legs of the couch off to get it in and it was still a tight fit. One of the missionaries joked that it only got in with much fasting and prayer. I would have to agree with him there because the entire time that they were trying to get it in I was praying like crazy that they wouldn't ruin the apartment door or wall or anything. The apartment sure was crowded so we decided to take the Uhaul truck to where it needed to go and then start unpacking. My parents were going to be visiting us at the end of the week on Friday night and I wanted the house to look really good so that they would like the place.
Hope had watched everyone bring in things and she was really nice to everyone and it just totally pooped her out. For some reason she has decided that the kitchen table is the best place to take naps. She actually still does that and just loves hanging out under the table. Silly girl. Hope stayed under the table while we unpacked our things. One of the first things that we did was hook up the washer and dryer since I wanted to do some much needed laundry. But as we were hooking the dryer up it made a terrible sound. Basically the thing died on us. Yeah, I could have cried. So we left all of our things and locked Hope up in one on the rooms that was not so bad and where she couldn't hurt anything either and left to go and find a dryer. We were thinking that since it was Memorial Day that we would find a great deal and there was some out there but Michael and I just didn't like anything that we found. In the end we didn't get a new machine and I was left with having to wait to do laundry. The only thing that we could do when we got home was put the mattress on the floor and go to bed since it was to late to do any unpacking with Michael having to work the next day. Now you might be wondering why we wouldn't at least put our bed together, right? The reason for that is because the box spring had a broken board so it really would be hard on our backs. Neither of us wanted to sleep on it so we opted for the mattress only and just said that we would eventually get around to fixing it.
.
The next day comes and I try to do some of the cleaning and unpacking myself and I was doing ok but I knew that we needed to fix that bed that day or else I would feel like I was getting no where. Once Michael got home I told him that we needed to fix it and he agreed so we went out to a hardware store, after we had measured the bed like crazy, and bought some wood to fix it. We also had to go to a fabric store so that I could buy some new backing and was grateful that one of the ladies at the store does re-upholstery. She was a BIG help with telling the kinds of fabric that I could use. I had taken a sample of the old backing but they don't carry anything like that in their store and I didn't want to go anywhere else because it was a store that I knew well. I did use the ladies advice and was happy with what I got. I ended up using a birthday gift card that I was saving for when we moved here to purchase the backing. I was going to use it for something else but this was way more important. With all of our things we were ready to fix the bed. We ripped off what was left of the backing and took the bad part out which wasn't to terrible, actually it was kind of fun.
Michael and I put in three new back boards so that the bed would be extra strong and also in hopes that the thing would not brake for a very long time. Michael did all of the drilling and putting the screws in while I marked where the boards should go and held them in place for him too. Once he was finished with that it was then my turn.
I got to put on the backing and it sure was hard to get the thing to stretch right and not pucker but I did it. They had several colors that I could have used for the backing but I figure no one is going to see it so what does it matter really. The old one was black so I didn't feel like I really needed to go with some other crazy color. I even was brave enough to use a staple gun and I have to say, "I LOVED THAT THING!!!" Maybe even a little to much but I was nice enough to let Michael has a turn using it too.
The finished product. I know that I should have probably taken a before picture so that you could have seen just how bad it was before but you will just have to take my word for it. This has been needing to get done for a long time so it sure was great to have it completed and it also helped me to be a little bit braver and more self-sufficient too. I feel so self sufficient that I might even try to re-upholstery the couch and chair one day (yeah, one day).
No comments:
Post a Comment