Monday, April 29

Frame for Me

Now with such a large quilt that I was working on Michael used his special woodworking talents and built me some custom frames.  He was such a good sport and I am so thankful for his wonderful mechanical mind because he was able to make the frames do everything that I demanded them to be able to do.
 
 The very start of the creative building process, working with good materials and smoothing everything out so no quilts will ever snag.

 The beautiful finished product.  It looked so good I almost didn't want to use it for fear I would ruin it but that didn't last long because I needed them fast.

 Now this shows you how amazing and talented my man is.  He built these gears and locks so that I could roll my quilt extra tight and not have to worry about it coming lose until I was ready.

 He also made it so my quilt could rotate to different degrees and even be able to flip upside down if I needed it too.  The only bad part was the peg choice we made to lock it in place.  I broke both sides rather quickly but we came up with a great new solution that has worked wonderfully since, metal bolts!  I haven't broken one of those . . . yet.

Lastly, Michael made some great sturdy feet so it would support the heavy quilts I was going to be placing on this thing.
 
 Here is a good picture of how the quilt looks like on the frame for you to see.  It was quite a challenge to get the quilt on but only because neither one of us had done that before with this quilt style but we manage to figure it out and will now be pros for the next quilt that will go on these frames.  Oh I must say that one of the best parts of this frame is that we can switch out the long width poles for any length of quilt that I am working on which is another plus.  So weather I hand quilt or just tie a quilt I have a beautiful frame to do it all on thanks to my great hubby.

No comments: