Monday, April 29

Brighter Kitchen

One of the places in our house that has been driving me nuts is our kitchen.  It is so dark and a very strange color choice.  Really the only thing I like about the kitchen is the good bones it has and not much else.  I hope one day I can ask the past home owner, "What were you thinking when you were trying to do this stuff on your own?!," and I'd like to ask his wife, "Why would you let him do that?!"  Let me explain why with a few before photos.

BEFORE:
 I'm sure one of the first things you are wondering is what is that white spot on the wall.  Well that is where the family left this strange paper towel holder/ wrapper station wall hanging thing.  I don't know it's real name and that is okay with me.  Anyways instead of the guy taking it down he just painted around the thing.  Strange?  YES!  Next, you might think we took off the pantry door to paint.  Nope!  There never was one.  The last home owner put in the pantry which I think was a good idea but not done right.  He covered a wall outlet, . . . well half of it at least.  The other half had open wires sticking out.  Michael and I still need to fix that and hopefully we can get to it soon.  The last home owner also put in the island too.  Another good idea but not done right or completely.  Like it had a bar portion that stuck out so far you couldn't have a kitchen table in the kitchen.  It also was just sitting on the floor and not screwed down/anchored to the floor.  Finally my issue with the island is that it was just open space on the inside.  No shelves!  Seriously, who does that?  Now as you can see we have already got the island fixed up.  We did that last year at the beginning of my pregnancy.

 Here is a good example of the funny paint colors they picked.  I don't know why you would do two walls one color and then the other two a different color.  It was like they couldn't agree on a paint choice so to not argue they just did both.  The colors are actually darker then what they show in this picture.  I do know they were trying to go for the fine wine dinning feel but it just didn't work.

 Here is how dark that color makes the hallway feel too.  Now I do have other things that bug me about our kitchen.  Like the floor was put in wrong and is now coming up (another project the guy did himself).  How the island cabinets and tile don't match the main cabinets and tile.  OH and how the window over the skin didn't have any curtains too!  We did put something up but it was always a temporary thing.  There are a few other things too but those are the main issues that bug us.  I'm sure now your thinking if we didn't like it that much why did we get this house.  Well you really don't notice that stuff when you walk through a home the first time but the main reason was we prayed about it and knew this is were we were suppose to be.  But here is the best part. . . the after photos

AFTER:
 Our new bright and happy hallway.  I'm sorry but I was so excited about the change that I couldn't wait to take pictures after I hung my photos up. 

The new and improved kitchen.  Yeah for no more funny white spot on that wall and for finally having a door on the pantry too!  Now before you ask, no I am not leaving the island that color.  We were low on paint and also didn't quite have enough time to do it either.  I am hoping we can get that portion done this week if Michael can get an night off early.  But that is the most we can do for the kitchen right now.  We will have to wait a bit longer before we can do any more major updates with it but I think I can live with that for now.


No comments: