Thursday, January 1

A Sweet New Year

My family has this tradition of making this special kind of candy on New Years Night. It has always been a favorite thing for me to do and I was so glad that Michael got to do it with me also. It is a very special recipe to me so sorry but I am not going to be putting it on here but I can tell you a little about what we do with it though. My mother and father prepare the candy in a pot and when it is ready all of us that are going to do the candy making have to put butter on our hands so that the candy will not stick to us to bad.Then you have to work it in your hands and keep on doing that for a very long time. I got started a little late with mine. I almost forgot but we also have to put butter all over the counter so that when it starts to try and fall out of our hands we are able to pick it up and put it back in to work it some more. That is actually one of my favorite parts because it is just so funny when it happens.Once the candy is past the point of wanting to fall out of your hands you can make it into a pretty little ball. That is the point that Michael is at in this picture. I'm at the point where it was trying to get away from me.Once you are done with making it into a ball you then put the flavor and matching food coloring into the mix. I did strawberry this year and Michael did root bear. The other flavors that we did were banana, mint, orange and butter. Then when you have to shape it back into another ball and we put it in the fridge over night. Then we make smaller balls and dip them in hard chocolate stuff and let them sit and then you can eat them. They are the best tasting candy ever!!!I bet you almost forgot too that this was Hopes very first New Years too. She couldn't help make the candy but she had no problem watching us make it. She also tried to help clean up the floor but I stopped her from doing that. The fun part was when it hit New Years Eve, like when the ball dropped, Hope got to eat a treat. So she had a pretty fun night and I am so proud that she was able to stay awake all night but who couldn't with all the fun that was happening.So when hope was eating her treat, the rest of us drank a Martinelli's when the new year came. This is also another tradition that my family does on New Years Eve. So that is how my family welcomed in the new year. I hope that it is a way better one then last year and has many happy experiences for Michael and I and Hope too.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love making that candy with you guys. I hope that you are thinking of sharing some with your bestest friend in the whole world :)

Monica said...

You and Peter should have come over this year to help make it instead of going to that party. We really could have used the extra hands for it too. My mom is the one that decides who gets the candy and I know that she is sending a lot of it back to school with Brandon so I don't think that you are going to be getting any this time, sorry about that. I guess you will just have to help next year and then you will be able to get some of it.