I don't know why we have such bad luck lately and why things are so hard for us but today was a very difficult day for Michael and I. Our little turtle Lilly has been coughing really bad for almost a week now and today she actually coughed up blood. So we found a vet that actually looks at turtles and was able to do a walk in appointment. I am so grateful that they let us come in because we really didn't know what was going on with her. They were very nice and completely checked her out in listening to her lungs, heart, and looking at her shell. They even weighted her too which is nice to know that she is at a good weight for her kind of breed. We told them the kind of tank environment that she lives in and what she eats and ask questions and just say anything that concerned us. After the vet was done looking at her she told us that she thinks that Lilly had gotten some piece of food stuck in her throat and just has been trying to get it out with coughing, kind of like what we would do. As for the blood, she must have been forming a blood clot in her throat while trying to get whatever it was out and so she kind of self healed herself today when she threw it up. She told us that we could take her home and just to watch her really closely for about a week. We are to make sure that she is still hungry and a good amount of energy for what she normally is when she is at home. I still am just so grateful that she is ok and that the vet was willing to help us out. It is really hard for me to find a vet that I like for my pets because I do know a lot about animals and I don't like being talked down to when it comes to something that I know. Given yes, I do not know everything about turtles but we did a lot of research on Lilly before we even thought about getting her. I just hope that this week goes well for her and that we will not have to take her back again.
.
(A funny side note is that Hope even went with us to the vet and she didn't freak out at all when we were there. I wonder if it was because she knew that it was not her turn to get checked out by the doctor. She also got to see a couple of cats that were actually really NICE!!! I love it when people socialize their animals right because it really does make all of the difference.)
2 comments:
I hope that Lilly will get feeling better and that she will not have to go back to the bet either. That is so weird that she coughed. I didn't know that turtles could cough. Guess I learned something new today.
Lilly has been feeling a lot better today and has not even coughed once! I didn't know that a turtle could cough until she did it. She actually can make some other sounds too. I guess the reason that we think that turtles don't make any sound is because that is what we are tought when we are in school. I wonder if they just don't know themselves or maybe they do know but it is just too hard of a thing to explain to a child the sound that they can make.
Post a Comment