Thursday, December 17

I'm The Leader

Tonight for the primary girls activity day I was incharge of the activity. This was hard for me since I have been trying to get over a cold and didn't even know if I would be able to go or not. I am sure you can imagine the relief that I felt when I was starting to feel better this morning but I was still nerves about being the leader for the day. Michael was very sweet in helping me get things together for today. I planned to have the girls make three different types of ornaments. I knew that doing only one ornament wouldn't take them long so I had to put in more. It is very important to keep these girls doing something. One ornament they could paint on, another they could draw on and us glitter, and then the last one they had to use yarn.
.
The girls were very energetic tonight and I have finally learned why they come to the activities like this. They come to activity day right after school. So of course they are going to be running around wild since they have been sitting in a chair for several hours. But I did learn one more thing too that helps the girls calm down a bit. That is to make them help set up whatever activity we are going to be doing for that day. I was really surprised with how well they did. Once we had everything set up we painted and did the glitter ornaments since they would need a lot of time to dry. Just like I thought it didn't take them long to do. I had brought a few small candy canes for them to eat while they waited for others to finish up to this point. Several of the girls that came tonight also brought treats to share so we ended up having a major goodies table for everyone to snack on. It really made the activity extra fun for the girls.
.
So with full tummies and not a lot of time we tried to do the last ornament. I noticed that some of the girls couldn't focus and others were speed demons for putting the last ornament together. It made me feel like I was back in school doing my student teaching again with how I was analysing them on what they can and can not do. It kind of annoyed myself doing this but it was a good things to do because now I can shape what sort of activities the group can handle. Overall I think for it being my first time to teach these girl I did pretty well. At least I am done for this year.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It sounds like the girls enjoyed themselves. I'm sure they loved it!

Erin Lafleur said...

Sounds like a fun activity with a difficult age. You should post pictures of the finished product though. I am curious.

Monica said...

Oh I didn't even think of posting pictures of the finished product. I will have to work on that for next time.