Friday, December 4

Ward Christmas Party

With being called to the activities committee we get the privilege of helping with the activities. When they called us we were told that we would not need to help out with the ward Christmas party since it was all already taken care of. I was happy with this news because I just wanted to sit back and enjoy the evening. Somehow though that did not end up being the case. Michael and I did a LOT!
.
The madness of it all started yesterday afternoon. The leader of the activities committee asked Michael and I to deliver potato's at dinner time (so we could catch people) to those who had signed up to help cook. But before it was time to deliver the potato's I had the girls primary activity day to go to. The girls activity time was well before dinner time so I thought everything would be fine. Yeah right, the girls primary activity ran over. Michael hand given me the car that night so I could actually go to the activity which meant that I had to go and pick him up from work. It took even more time just to get to him with all of the traffic and then when I got there he wasn't ready for me. We were over an hour late getting home yesterday night. So of course there was a phone message waiting for us from the committee leader saying basically where are you because I can't deliver my stuff until you pick up yours.
.
As quickly as we could we drove over to her house and loaded the car and headed off to deliver our potato's. We were really lucky that the activity committee leader had made a little map for us of where people lived. But even with the map we had a hard time finding the houses because of how dark it was. It seems like no one out here has proper outside lighting. The numbers on the houses were almost impossible to read. When we did find a house it was a very joyful moment. We only had one person that was not home and went back there several times in hope that they would return from wherever they were soon. Finally we had to give up and I just left them a phone message saying we had the potato's that they volunteered to cook for the ward Christmas party. They actually called late that night and we ran the bag of potato's over. Good thing too because I have no idea how I would fit so many potato's in our oven.
.
Now as you can guess the ward Christmas party was tonight. I got called early this morning to go over and help set a few thing up. It only took a hour to do all of that and then I was off to bake the potato's that I had volunteered to help with. I cooked 25 in our oven and was amazed that they all actually fit inside that thing. Once the potato's were in I had a very well earned relaxation time to myself. When Michael got home from work the potato's were done and smelling perfect. Which was a really good thing since we had to make sure we got to the ward Christmas dinner early to help out in the kitchen. It did take awhile for us all to get organized in there but once we had a system down we did great at getting the food out. There was one point when we were running low on things but by then I think people were coming/asking for seconds.
.
At that point us in the kitchen hadn't eaten our meal yet so we all grab what we could and how much we wanted. I think that is the best part of working in the kitchen. From there Michael and I was able to enjoy the night. The primary did a little program for everyone and oh boy were they so much fun to watch. A lot of the kids never looked out into the audience. They were all too focused on what they were suppose to be doing to notice any of us. It was really funny but cute too. While we watched the kids, Michael and I ate really slow and talked with a few people. We ended up missed out on helping doing the dishes. Oh Darn!
.
Now there was one thing that I was actually sad that we and everyone else missed out on. Santa never came to our ward Christmas party. I didn't notice this until a parent came up to us and asked if we were going to be having Santa come out soon. I couldn't answer him but pointed him to the activity committee leader to ask. I just couldn't believe we were not having a Santa come. All of the ward Christmas parties that I have been too always had Santa come. I hope with Michael and I being on the committee now that we can get Santa to come again.

No comments: