.
I was actually lucky that when I pulled the cake out of the oven I didn't have any bubbles for once. I wanted to take a picture of what luck I had, had but I knew that I needed to focus my attention on the cake more. I did have to trim off a little bit of the top of the cake to make it lay flat but even then I am not sure how good of a job I did. The cake kind of slanted down on the side just a bit. Putting the icing on though was fun for me or at least it was until parts of the cake tried to come off with the icing. I had to put on a TON just so the entire cake wouldn't pull off when I needed to get more icing. Then I found out just how hard putting icing on the sides can be. I probably could have trimmed them a bit but at that point I just wanted the icing to get on and look good enough to pass. I mean we were going to be eating this after all so how good does it really have to look for two people? Here is how my work turned out.
For a first time I would say not so bad. You can see that I did have a little trouble with the corners but for only using a butter knife I am happy with my results. The only thing that I was not totally pleased with was how much chocolate there was in this cake. Don't get me wrong I do love chocolate; what girl doesn't? But it can become a bit much in cakes. Michael loves chocolate cakes with chocolate frosting. Another good thing that I love him so much. So with now being this far all that was left was to put on the candles and celebrate.
Can you see how old Michael is turning? I know it is kind of hard to see with how there are so many sprinkles to distort your view. The sprinkles came with the frosting pack and I didn't want any of them to go to waste so I just put them all on. I am not going to do that again next time. It is just to many and it makes the cake look bad. I think I will just save them for when I do Christmas cookies or something. I wonder how long they can keep for?
Here is just me singing alone to Michael the birthday song. Please feel totally free to skip it. Believe me your ears will want you to do that if you love them. I think it is time that we expand our little family choir. I sure did sounded horrible singing alone. Maybe I can teach Hope to sing too!
Once that horrible singing was done (our ears rejoiced), Michael cut the birthday cake. At this point during the night he was sick of me taking pictures. He said he felt like we were doing a mini wedding again with how many I had been taking. HEY! I was really proud of that cake so I had to take pictures like mad.
Here is another "Wedding Cake Cutting," picture for you to all enjoy. Don't you wish you were here to help us eat that cake. We would have loved the help too so make sure you come next year.
Now I don't know if you noticed in the last picture or not (and you will probably go back and look) but there is a red plate. I just want to tell you how important the red plate is to our family. The red plate is only used on birthday's or a very special occasion. It is a tradition that Michael's family does and I fell in love with it instantly. I got to see how they do their tradition of the red plate while Michael and I were dating. His little brother had a birthday while I was visiting them one time. I knew right away that this was something that Michael and I needed to carry on in our family but had no idea where you can even find these plates. We both tried looking for it but just couldn't find it anywhere. So when Michael and I did get married one of our wedding gifts was a red plate! We were totally speechless when that happened because no one but family knew how much we wanted this plate. We got it from a wonderful couple in my parents ward and since have enjoyed many fun years using this plate. It really makes you feel extra special for that day.
Sorry but I had to through in this last picture of my beautiful cake that I made. I just wanted you to see how well I did with frosting it on the inside. Okay, that is the end of the birthday merriment that we had today. Now that you got to see how much fun we had I am sure that you will all want to join in for next year. Don't worry we will save a place for you.
1 comment:
Doing your first two layer cake really is quite the adventure isn't it? It turned out great and I think its awesome how you put 28 in candles on top. never thought to do that. Oh and I love the red plate tradition. Very cool.
Post a Comment