Friday, January 15

Travling Around The World.....Sort Of

Like I mentioned in my last post I was planning a super big special surprise for Michael. There were several reasons that I wanted to do this. One is because I felt horrible that I had forgotten about our first date anniversary and secondly, because of my older sister Koreena. In my opinion, my sister Koreena is amazing! She is so creative, talented and comes up with the most wonderful ideas. She planned this really fun date night for her husband (you can read about it on her blog). Like her, I wanted to create something special for Michael but in my own way. What I came up with was interesting to say the least.
.
I decided that I wanted to have a fun date night but with a twist. I wanted a nice dinner, to go dancing and just relax. I also wanted to have a cute theme to go with my surprise date. The only fun theme that I could think of was to visit places from around the world. So I decorated our apartment from places that we would like to go to one day. Those places are: China, Brazil, Hawaii and a warm beach (anywhere really).
.
Here is how I had things planned. I figure that the first thing we would do tonight would be eating dinner and what better (or easier) place to have dinner then China? Our menu would consist of salad, popcorn chicken with orange sauce, and rice. All of which we would eat with chop-sticks. Then our desert would be some fortune cookies and some Japanese pocky sticks. I know they aren't Chinese but I love those things all the same and it was my dinner so I figure I can make/have whatever I want. Once dinner was over we would go to Brazil for some dancing. Michael got a CD for Christmas that has all Brazilian songs on it so we could dance to that. After dancing we would go to Hawaii and just lay back and relax while we listened to the ocean. Sounds great hu? Well here is how it really went down.
.
Michael had to go home teaching right after work tonight (making him really hungry) and I figure while he was away for an hour I could decorate the apartment and get dinner going too. Then just to be on the safe side I gave him a list of things that we needed from the store and told him that we had to have them tonight. I knew doing this would delay him for about another hour giving me plenty of time to get everything set up. Now since we normally do our shopping on Saturday Michael really didn't want to go but said he would for me. As soon as I saw the car pull away from the house I gathered together all of my things that I have been hiding and started running around putting decorations up.
.
It took me about a half an hour to set everything up and get dinner started. I am so glad that it didn't take me to long because as I am sure you have already guessed that Michael came home early. I was concerned about that happening so I am really glad that I locked the front door extra so he couldn't get in and ruin the surprise. Of course with the front door locked like that he now knew that something was up and really wanted to come in. I asked him if he had gone to the store yet for me which was a stupid question since I could see he was holding the bags. Still talking to him through the door I proceeded to ask if he even went home teaching. He told me that the family had forgotten all about it so he couldn't get it done and just went to the store instead. Of course now I had to let him in since I had no where else to send him.
.
Once Michael was inside he gave me a really funny look because all he could see were two sheets hanging from the celling blocking the view of the living room/dinning area and the backrooms. It was then that I had to just go with it and get our date started. I told him that I wanted to do something special for him and that I was going to take him on a trip around the world (sort of). That is when I gave him some airplane tickets that I had made. He looked at all of the destinations and just smiled. The first ticket took him to China where he saw some very colorful Chinese lanterns.After enjoying the beautiful atmosphere that China has to offer we proceeded to the restaurant and our own private table.I know the tables in China are a bit different then mine here but hey, work with what you've got. While we were at the restaurant and waiting for our dinner to finish cooking we were entertained by a small Chinese dragon named Hope (go to link for a look of the outfit). She did a lovely job entertaining us while we waited. When dinner was finally done cooking we proceeded to eat our meal, minus the rice (because I didn't have enough time to cook it). The meal became interesting when at the end we had finally realized that we were using the chop-sticks upside down. Luckily neither one of us got any slivers. Our next destination was Brazil but to get to Brazil you have to cross the ocean and so that is just what we did.I know that the picture doesn't show the entire ocean but the ocean is too large to fit in one picture. You will just have to trust me that our ocean was so large that it stretched all the way from one side of the room to the other separating China and Brazil. Although when we got to Brazil this was the beautiful site that awaited us.If you can't tell it is the Brazilian rain-forest. Again I was not able to get all of it in this picture but that is fine since this was really the best looking part of our rain-forest. I also had some stars hanging from the ceiling (I didn't think they were pretty enough to include in the picture). So now that we were in Brazil we enjoyed dancing to the local music. I was kind enough to let Michael pick the songs that we would dance to, since it was his CD after all (and he knows what they are saying too). I think he was having a lot of fun at this point because he was trying to teach me some more Portuguese. Once we were both tired of dancing we proceeded on to our next destination with only one lay over.I don't think it was such a bad lay over. I know a desert oasis was not in the plans but you can't argue with the flight path that you have to take to get to someplace wonderful. Which in our case was Hawaii.I think this was my favorite stop on the entire trip. When we arrived you could hear the ocean (I turned on the music before I let Michael in the house). The other thing that was awaiting us was some lovely fruit punch drinks with little Hawaiian umbrellas in them. I tired to give the room an elegant hotel feel but I'm not sure if I achieved that. But I did manage to have some fun animal life (not fit for Hawaii) and ocean items about the room.Michael and I have collected sea shells every time we visit the beach and it was fun to have them out so we could go through them again and remember all of the fun trips to the beach we have been on. Mind you this is not all of the sea shells that we have collected (they couldn't all fit on that small shelf). Once we finished our drinks the date was over and it was time to clean up. I had borrowed some things from friends to help with my date night and needed to return them tomorrow morning (the table runner and the fabric on the bedroom wall).As you can see we aren't going to be getting any help from Hope when it comes to cleaning up but that is alright. Hope did a great job at helping me set it all up and she did entertain us in China so all is well.

No comments: