Friday, August 21
Quilting Service Project
One day I got a phone call from one of the sisters in our ward telling me that she was in charge of making quilts for an activity the stake was going to be having next month. She was suppose to make a few quilts and set them up for the sisters to tie together at the activity but she was not going to be able to go to the activity since it was around the same time as her due date. That is when she said that she had heard in the ward that I knew how to sew and that I also make great quilts. I have no idea how anyone in the ward could say such a thing like that since none of them have ever seen a quilt that I have done before. The sister finally asked me if I would mind being the one in charge of making and setting up the quilts for the activity. I told her that I would not mind and so I have been working hard on this quilting project since. She did give me all of the fabric that members of the ward had donated. The sad thing about that though is a ton of the fabric is knit so I can not use it. I also got all of the yarn that was donated too and getting that all untangle was quite a challenge. But I have had a lot of fun looking in several of my quilting books for possible quilts I could do. One of the books I found a quilt possibility in looked great (seeing as how the expectation of me was set a bit to high, I still did not want to disappoint) so I started on it. Before and during the time that I was cutting out the fabric I though it was possible for me to do this quilt quickly since I was sure I had found a better way of putting the thing together then what the directions had said to do. However, after I had actually started to sew the thing together it did not work out the way I had planned. I had to follow the directions in the book and I was totally panicked about that since it required me to do a technique that I had not done for a very long time. I'm just grateful that I was blessed to do what was required for the pattern without to much trouble.
I moved my sewing machine to the dinning room table since that table is so much bigger then my actual sewing table. I just makes it a lot easier for me to work. You can see I have got it all cut out and am starting to sew it together. I just love how the colors worked out. I did have to put in some of my own fabric to make it work but that is okay.
Here is what one square looks like for the quilt. Not to bad, right?
Now one block was and is not the same as one square. One block (for this quilt) is four squares put together. I then had to put them in rows of three and then connect all of those together. It did feel like it was taking forever to get to this point but at least it was turning out okay. I will post a picture of the finished product when I get it done, of course.
A really funny thing about me quilting in the dinning room is how Hope had to cope with me being in there. You can see that my machines cord was right over her food bowl so she had to eat very carefully. At first she didn't trust the cord but eventually she realized that it wasn't going to do anything to her food so then she was okay. I'm just glad that it didn't take her to long to get over the fact that I was going to be staying there for several weeks. Well back to work for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment