Friday, August 21

Play Group Activity

In our new yard they have something that is called play group. I think other wards do this too but I am not totally sure. Anyways, if you do not know what it is I will inform you right now. It is where a group of mothers get together and let the kids play while they try to talk to one another while watching their kids. I have been invited to come to play group but have always felt strange about going since I don't have any kids to take with me to it. I would go if my nieces and nephews lived close enough (and if their mothers would let me take them off their hands for a few hours) but they don't so hence I do not go. Well yesterday the play group was going to go to a pony farm. This activity I was very excited about since I love horses so much. I muddled over if I should attend or not and on the very day of the activity was to take place I had decided that I would go. To be totally honest I was so excited about it (even with me trying to decided) that I stayed up all night to get ready to go to it, just in case. I know that you would think there would not be a lot to do to get ready for it. Just dress and go but they said to bring some snacks or a lunch and a few other things. The person in charge of the activity didn't say how long we would be gone so I just wanted to be very prepared for anything that would happen. I made me and Michael a lunch and I even had to get Hope ready to go to work with Michael (I'm so glad that he can take her whenever I need him to do so for me).
.
Finally when it was time to go to the pony farm (we had all meet at the church house and carpooled over to the place) I was tired but still pretty excited. I was thinking that the pony farm was going to be like some little fun amusement park for kids where they could ride the horses and feed the animals and pet some of them and play with fun play food to pretend to be farmers and things. The entire thing was very lovely in my head. However when we pulled up to the place I soon learned that it was only a farm and nothing more but I still had hope that this was going to be fun. A grandpa farmer (I'm sorry but that is the only way I can describe him) greeted us and took us to see two of his horses, a mother and baby. The only problem was that the horses didn't want to say hello to any of us and the man had to catch them and drag them over. I think the kids only looked at those horses for five minutes and then they were ready to move on since they really couldn't do much. We saw two more horses and that was it. YEAH! WE ONLY SAW FOUR HORSES TOTAL THE ENTIRE TIME WE WERE THERE!!! I was so frustrated but more shocked that the trip was already over. I had been so excited for this and it was a big let down. I'm not sure if I just built the thing up in my head to much or not. I still can not believe that we were done in less then ten minutes at this place. The funny thing is that there were tons of other animals for the kids to see but the farmer would not let us because they belonged to his daughter who was away. I did come to find out that the daughter was the one that was suppose to take us around the farm and to let us actually DO some things but she was a total no show. Even though I was completely disappointed I tried really hard to not let it show. I did take some pictures so at least you can all enjoy that part of my outing.These are full grown Welsh Ponies type D I believe. The grandma farmer told the kids a lot about them. Much more then what any of them could really understand or care about for that matter but a few of the much, much older kids enjoyed listening to it for a moment. Some of the things that she said about horses and ponies I do agree with but other things I was not as happy to hear her say because I know she was being totally bias in some of her ideas and opinions.Like the first horses we saw, these ones didn't want to get to close to the kids at first but they started to warm up to them. That is once the kids quited down enough not to frighten the horses anymore.It was pretty cute to see the kids pet the horses. That is when the horses let them.I don't know about you but I think these horses need a hair cut.Since only a few kids at a time could pet the horses (since they still weren't getting that close and the grandpa and grandma farmer weren't doing much to change that) the kids all swarmed one of the farm dogs. It sure was a good thing that the dog really likes attention and is good with kids too. My ride didn't leave until everyone else had left so I got to see the dogs reaction to all of its admirers leaving and oh was it such a sad face, poor thing. But one good thing about being one of the last to leave is that the grandpa farmer gave me some zucchini! I was happy to take it since I actually wanted to make some special bread that day. At least the entire thing was not a complete waste of time but I don't think I will ever try to go to the play group again no matter how fun it may seem and even if I do have kids to take.

No comments: