Thursday, November 10

New Inside for Old Jacket

Now while my husband worked on his Hope Chest project I had my own scary project to tackle.  Fixing the inside of a very old (30+ years) leather jacket.  It was brought to me by a friend with all of the materials.  Just showed up on my doorstep and handed it too me.  I just had to fix the inside lining of the jacket.  AHHHHH!!!!!  Anyone that knows me at all knows that I hate doing clothing because you have to be at a very high level of accuracy which I don't believe I poses. 
 
I was so afraid to start this project because I knew if I messed up the owner wouldn't be getting any jacket back.  I looked at several tutorials, which there isn't as many out there that are helpful as I was hopping.  I carefully unpicked the lining from the jacket and used the torn pieces to make the pattern.  The crazy thing though that while unpicking I saw the jacket was fixed before (poorly) and told it was done by a dry cleaner.  Honestly didn't know they would do that for someone.  I think the best thing I found was in the armpit area was a large quilt sewing pin.  OUCH!  Not sure how the owner never felt that one.

Some spots were pretty strait forward and not bad to handle with unpicking and re-sewing.  Which was good because I really needed that confidence boost.

Other places like this sideways pocket that goes into the lining just about killed me.  It was so hard to get just right and sewing it down was even harder.  Especially when you have to work with leather and only can sew in the original holes.

But thankfully I got it in and it looks pretty good.  I only had to unpick and re-stitch one spot that I did on it because I didn't think it caught the fabric well enough to support weight in the pocket.

Now the cuffs for the sleeve were so much harder than what I thought they should be.  I just couldn't get them to work so I had to make up my own way to place them on.  I still don't like it but it works.

Finally I was totally awesome and saved all of the original tags and even put them back in so you would "hopefully" never know the entire lining was replaced.

Finally my beautiful hem job on the bottom.  This spot I was very pleased about with how it turned out.  Yeah for getting it done but an even bigger YEAH for NEVER HAVING TO DO THIS AGAIN!!!!!

No comments: