Friday, November 27

Oregon Trees Are The Best

One of my favorite memories as a kid (growing up in Oregon) was going out as a family to a tree farm and picking out what we thought was the best Christmas tree from the entire field and cutting it down together. This is why I say Oregon trees are the best kinds of Christmas trees that a person can have. So I was really excited to go out with Michael's family to a tree farm this year and cut down a true home grown Oregonian tree. We went out for the tree in between all of Michael's and mine crazy Black Friday shopping. It was a very nice brake to have from the shopping madness. When we got to the tree farm you have the option of picking from some trees that they already have cut or going on a hay ride to a spot where you can cut your own tree down. We did the hay ride.Here is what our beautiful hay ride was. I thought it was great and it was so much fun! When we were going out to the tree field we had to pass through a little farm. I think it made the entire experience feel more like a old fashion holiday tradition.Now you can see the actual hay that we sat on in making it out to the tree field with my cute Michael ready to go and have some family fun or should I call it family destruction? We are cutting down some of nature after all.The task now was finding the perfect Christmas tree. That was actually really hard because all of the trees just looked wonderful. Michael's parents and his little sister found a great tree for their family and so Michael quickly cut it down for them. The tree in the picture is the one that we ended up cutting down, just incase you were wondering.Now something that you might be a little surprise about is Michael and I also cut down our own tree for our home several miles away. We must be crazy but Michael did it all for me. He knows how much I love a real tree and especially the Oregonian ones. We found this very cute little tree (or to us at the time it looked little) to cut down for our apartment. It was really important that we pick a smaller tree so it would fit into our home since we really don't have that much room.Michael cutting down our tree. YEAH! (This picture is also a little bit of a revenge from the 4th of July). While we were cutting down our tree we saw several people that had brought their dogs along too. I thought how fun that would have been to have had Hope with us but then the more I thought about it I changed my mind. Don't get me wrong I love taking her everywhere with me and she would have been a blast to have along but I would have to keep a very close eye on her. I also didn't like the fact that it was very muddy (since it rained a lot the day before) and I did not feel like giving her a bath. Now I am sure you are wondering, 'how are they going to get that big tree back in that tiny car of theirs?'.Well this machine is what helped us out in the tree transportation problem. This is by far one of the neatest things that I have ever watched. What this machine does is string the trees up tight so that they look like a tall green stick. Now I did try to get a video of the machine working but having a new camera and trying to figure it out still (remember I got it this morning) I filled the memory card pretty fast. I did get it switched over to the internal memory (that took a long time to figure out) and got a few seconds of the machine just about to start and then the internal memory some how got filled as well. So I am sorry but I am not going to show you the video of a loud machine doing pretty much nothing.We were pretty lucky in getting someone to take a group shot of us with our trees (on the right side) when we were all done. Now you may not believe it but I do like being in pictures every now and again and I love this picture of us the most. I bet it would have made a pretty cute Christmas card too. All that was left to do was pay for the trees put them in the truck (so glad that Michael's parents have one) and get our free cup of hot coco. Once we got home, Michael's mother and I gathered together some of the Christmas tree decoration boxes and put them in the room that the tree would soon be up in. We also got the room ready with moving some of the furniture too. While we did that the men messed with getting the tree ready; you know, cut branches and things. After us women had our part done we went into the kitchen and Michael's mother looked out the window and saw a very cute sight.This little squirrel through the window. Look how close I can zoom in on him! He was just so cute eating the apples that are left in the trees. I still can't believe that I got a picture of him looking at me. Doesn't he just seem to be saying, "Um, do you mind?" I was only able to get this one picture of him because Michael had opened the door very soon after I took it to let the dogs out and that was enough to scared the poor little guy off. At least we got to watch him for a little bit before he left. So all in all, I would say that I have added an even greater love for the Oregon trees and the wonderful memories that they can creat.

No comments: