Sunday, December 28

First White Dress

When Seth was born we were too poor to buy a blessing outfit for him so I made him one out of scrap fabric and an old pattern I had gotten a long, LONG time ago.  Sadly, much hasn't changed since then so Sarah got to have the privilege of mommy making her a blessing dress out of scrap fabric that she had lying around but instead of using the same kind of pattern like brother's which did provide a girl version mommy was crazy and did a little design alternation of her own to make it a one of a kind dress.
 
 I didn't have a lot of fabric to play around with and do some before sample testing so I was very careful in thinking what I wanted and how I wanted it to lay/function.

 Once I knew how I was going to do the main skirt portion, which I knew was really going to be my attention grabber I started to work.  The skirt ended up being longer then what I had in mind and the best part of all is I had shortened it from the pattern a good foot at least!

 The one thing that I really don't enjoy about sewing children's cloths is all of the little pieces that you have to make sure don't get lost or put on the wrong way either.  It is also much harder or at least more nerve racking for me when I am so limited on my fabric supply.  I knew I couldn't make one mistake or else I would have to start the entire thing over with different fabric.

 Thankfully I was able to finish the dress and on time too.  Sarah had to go through a lot of fittings since she is so small but she was such a good sport about the entire experience.  I'm sure she just loved the special attention she was getting from mommy too.

 My sweet husband even got me a special machine to do this fancy stitching on the bodice piece to make it a little more girlly for her. I think it makes her look like she is wearing a necklace when she isn't which I love.

 Another new challenge for me and my sewing skills was to create sleeves for this dress.  The one in the pattern that was given was beyond horrible and terribly old fashion and I just refused to do them.  I wasn't going to leave it sleeveless either because I am very big on being modest, no matter what age you are.

So that is my completed dress for her and I am just happy it is done.  I know she only wore it for a short amount of time but I hope one day when she looks at it she will know just how much I love her to do this for her.

1 comment:

Sara R said...

so sweet. What a lovely dress!