Saturday, October 31

Halloween Costumes 2009

Normally for Halloween Michael and I don't dress up or even decorate to be honest. The reason being that neither of us are very much into Halloween. But if you remember last year we did dress Hope up at least because it was her very first Halloween (she was a dragon then). I had made her costume because I figure it was kind of a special holiday, being her first and all. I made sure that the dragon costume could be something for her to wear every year (that way I didn't have to make her another costume or find one). I also thought it would be cute to make her a dragon because I have two costume patterns for Michael and I that I am planning to make one day that will go along with the dragon one. A knight for him and a princess for me. Well anyways, one day I was asking Michael if he wanted Hope to wear the dragon costume or should we think of something else to dress her up as, stupid question I know. Michael told me that he really didn't care and if I was smart I should have left it at that but I had to push it and say that we were in a new area and that it might be fun to do something different for her. So of course he said yes we probably should do something different then. We finally decided to make Hope be the wolf in granny's nightdress from the story Little Red Ridding Hood. This was a challenging costume for me to make because yet again I had no pattern to go off of.Hope modeling her granny costume. To make this costume I recycled some fabric that I had lying around. I must say that I am very grateful to some of my teachers on fun ways you can recycle fabric, BIG help.Here is what the back of the costume looks like. I know the end of it is kind of short but I didn't want it to get in her way. Now at this point I was done making her costume but I was completely unsatisfied with how it turned out. It just doesn't look that very granny like to me. I then let some friends see these pictures and ask what they would do to make the costume look more granny like. All of the suggestions they gave me were great but I only had time to do a few.This is the end results of the granny costume for Hope. I added some flowers on the hat and a wig to make her look more lady like. On the nightgown I added a ruffle around the front legs and a few fabric flowers on the back of the outfit to make it look like a printed nightgown (I know you can only see one flower but there was more). Now I am still not totally happy how it turned out but I was facing a major time crunch so I am pleased with what I was able to pull off. However there was one thing that was bothering me still that I talked to Michael about (another probably shouldn't have done). I told Michael that Hope probably only looks like she is an old lady for Halloween and not the wolf from the Little Red Ridding Hood story since she isn't with any of the other characters from the story. I mean isn't that what you would think too if this was all that you saw? Well anyways, we decided that we would be the other characters from the story so that Hopes costume wouldn't look so funny. Yes; it means that we did dress up for Halloween this year.Michael was the very HOT woodcutter. YEAH FOR ME!!! His costume was also the easiest to do too which was nice and frustrating to me. All we did for him was get a plaid shirt that was red since I figured it was more woodsman like. Michael made his own ax and did a pretty good job on it too. It sure was fun watching him make the thing.I got to be little red ridding hood (which I was pretty happy about to tell the truth). My costume was a bit of a challenge to make since, like Hope's costume, I was using recycle fabric from home and the Goodwill store. I made the skirt, hair ties and the cape and funny enough the cape was the hardest part to make. I did also have a little brown basket that had a bit of cloth laying it in that matched the bottom of my skirt too, sorry I didn't take a picture of it. You know how in the story of Little Red Ridding Hood she has a basket full of goodies for her grandmother? Well we put the Trick-or-Treat candy in my basket and I would pass it out to the kids from the basket full of goodies. I thought it was a pretty cute idea and would help add to my costume.Me with the hoody on for you all to see. Even though I really struggled with my costume, I was actually pretty lucky that I got it done in time. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. At least I don't have to worry about a costume for another year; that is IF I ever do that again.The Little Red Ridding Hood story group characters. When we were passing out candy, at the Trunk-or-Treat our ward does, it was fun to see the big smiles on the kids faces when they saw Hope in her costume and us in ours. A lot of the kids would tell us who we were and we even had some parents take a picture of us all every now and again. Other parents gave us compliments on what a cute idea. We sure did have fun dressing up together and I think that this might even become a tradition somehow, lets really hope that it doesn't. I so don't want to make more costumes in a rush ever again.Hope sure did love Halloween but she loves it more when she doesn't have to wear a hat on her head. HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

1 comment:

dyan said...

I loved your costumes and thot they were adorable.