Tuesday, June 30

Quilts Sew Beautiful (Day 2)

Well day two of the quilting show and I was still feeling down.  I think it was more from just the thought that I wasn't going to have fun and that I didn't see much to inspire me but I still wanted to go so I could spend time with my friend.  On this trip I decided to take the boys with me.  Seth has been with me at all quilt shows, except one, and this was going to be James first time and I didn't want to miss that chance with him.
 
I got there a little early so I looked at the display quilts they have as you enter.  This one was quite interesting because of the design.

I really admire people who can do the funky quilts.  I like to have things match up and make a pattern with my quilting so it is fun to try and figure out how they do these types of quilts.

This blanket was over in the Project Linus area.  I really am thankful for those people that make the project Linus blankets.  James actually got one when he spent his time over Christmas in the NICU.  The quilt also made me think of one of my sisters since she really enjoys Peanuts.

On the other side of the room when you come in they have these amazingly wonderful vintage sewing machines, irons and so much more.  I think the funniest thing for me though was seeing the same sewing box that my MOTHER has.  It is that brown one in the picture.

If I had these in my house they would be very proudly displayed and treasured too.
 
I love this quilt!  The lady at the table told me that a man made it.  Now HE is a incredible guy and has really good taste too.
 
This was the first time that I have actually seen a loom at the show.  Yes it is small but still it was there.  Seth was very interested at seeing the lady work on it so we chatted with her for awhile. 
 
We were still waiting for my friend to show up but at least by this point I was feeling a LOT better.  The boys and I then went into a side area to look at things that they were selling and giving away for free.  I like the free bin and so far every year I am able to find something in it that I can reuse and give new life to.  I have to find the time for it but that is another thing all together. 
 
Soon after my friend got there we went in and started to admire all of the quilts.  This one Seth really liked so I got a picture of him with it.  He probably liked it because of the bold red color.
 
 I thought this zigzag blue quilt was quite interesting and it really didn't look to bad as something I could do on a smaller scale one day.
 
I thought James might like it too so I got a picture of him next to it.
 
 My friend was sweet enough to get a picture of us together.  Yes, I cared James the entire time.  Which yet again the boy slept through most of the entire show.  He didn't even wake up to eat!
 
With how much my kids like the movie Frozen, I had to get a picture for them.
 
This is truly amazing and I'm sure requires a lot of patience and skill to do.  I just love how realistic the tail looks.  It would be something that anyone should be proud they have created.

From a distance or close up this quilt looks amazing! 
 
 The quilts name is "My Nightmare."  A fun but as you can see appropriate name.
 
 Seth also liked this quilt too.  Once again it must be the colors.
 
I love how quilts can look really complicated but when you brake them down they are actually very easy to do.  Can you see how to do this one?

I'm not sure why but I do like this quilt.
 
Another all time favorite of the quilt show was this butterfly girl.  That dress is so beautiful!  I wish I had super sewing skills to make something like this for my daughter because I'm sure she would love wearing a dress like that.

At times it can be hard to find cute applique but I was lucky to find this one.
 
I like the shape of the rocking horse but the colors are a little to bold for me, even for a child's quilt.
 
I have been wanting to do a patriotic quilt for awhile so anytime I see one at the show that I haven't seen done before I take a picture of it in hopes that it will give me the inspiration that I need.

 Such a simple but yet stylish quilt.
 
 I might have to make something like this for the boys in the future.
 
I really enjoy the Farmers Wife/Civil War quilt blocks.  It is also fun when you know the story behind each blocks design.

Quilts within a Quilt!!!
 
It is fun to see a twist on the modern quilts every now and again and this is one I enjoyed.
 
I love the layer effect this quilt has.
 
This quilt was my absolute favorite of the entire show.  The color and design are truly amazing.  I just am sad that you aren't able to leave a comment to the creator and tell them what a good job they have done on their incredible work.  I really would have loved to talk to them.

Yes, James is still out and Seth was starting to get tired.  At least Seth never once complained about being in the stroller though so it help for the entire experience to be a good one for me.

This star quilt is so striking with using black in the background.  I'm not sure I'm brave enough to do a black background quilt yet though, maybe one day.

These dolls were handmade but that isn't the best part about them.
 
Each doll had a quilt block that they were hand sewing!  How cute is that?
 
I also love how the blocks match their dresses in color too.  Someone must of had a lot of fun doing this. 

After we were done admiring all of the quilts in the show we went around to all the venders and admired the quilts they had on display too.  Another patriotic quilt but much more simple.
 
I like how all the different stars are embroidered onto the quilt.  It reminded me a lot of my baby blanket from my grandmother.
 
This quilt was just too awesome to not get a picture of.
 
I just think of all the time that must have been spent on it because of the details.
 
I do see how they created it but I honestly wouldn't want to make one myself.  I'm happy with just admiring someone else's work and ambition.

This quilt was beyond a temptation for me.  Not to buy, goodness no!  But to make.  Although you had to have a very special ruler to do it and I didn't have enough of my birthday money to get it.  Maybe next year I will but we will have to see if that vender even comes back and has it.

Such a funky fun quilt but it makes my eyes go funny at times.
 
These cute teddy bears remind me of a cross stitch that I need to do.  They would also look good in the room that I plan on hanging that cross stitch up at too.

I just adore quilts that have the traditional block behind some applique.  It is like the best of all quilting worlds.

We got some stranger to take a picture of us all together next to a quilt we all enjoyed.  Now I can't wait for next year to come and go again.  I do hope this time we will be able to get a very large group to go together. 

1 comment:

Sara R said...

oh my word! The creativity in these quilts is incredible! (I loved the detail on the downton quilt by the way) Just so many great ideas! I can tell why you'd get so inspired at these shows