Tuesday, July 20

What Was I Thinking?

Yet again I think I have gotten myself way over my head. I'm very good at that if you haven't noticed. Let me tell you the story. Well to start it deals with girl’s activity day and how the primary presidency wants us to do a dinner sort of thing for the parents of the girls. She wants them to see what sort of things we do in activity day. I would think the parents would know from the girls telling them when they get home but maybe that isn't happening. Anyways, it sounded like a really fun idea. Now just to let you know the other leaders and I were told about this in January.
.
Since then I have thought that we need to have the girls do a special project to show off to their parents that represent them but also what we do. So I thought, and thought, and for a change of pace I thought some more. Finally about a month ago I had the idea of have the girls make little lap quilts for themselves. My first reaction was, "NEVER!!!" I did not want to deal with all the problems that could come from doing something that big. I also have finally learned what these girls could handle and what they cannot handle but for some reason the idea would not leave me alone. That is when I knew that it was something I had to do weather I liked it or not.
.
My next challenge was to convince the other leaders that we needed to do this and to actually figure out the design idea for the quilt. I made sure that I had the design before I presented to them the idea that way I could tell them just how easy this was going to be. Yes, I was trying to be optimistic. I only managed to get two blocks how I wanted them and told the others. One was positive the other……………not so much. But in the end they agreed to do this project. The only thing is I am doing all of the preparation by myself and that is hard.
.
The quilts will have only nine blocks and they are going to be the size of a piece of paper once they are completely sewn up. I have been having Michael, my mother, and even one of my cousins help me come up with ideas of other things that I could have the girls put on the blocks. Only a few days ago did we finally get them all figured out and I started to make a quilt of my own (out of scraps that I have) to show the girls what theirs are going to look like. Doing a quilt of my own I hope will help them and motivate them but it has been a LOT of work. Normally I have more time than just one weekend to work on a quilt. I’m still not completely finished but when I am I’ll try to take a picture to show you all.
.
As for now, the only thing that I have let to do is cute out the blocks for the girls. There is a lot of fabric and I am sure it will take me most of the day. I know stop blogging about it and get to work. I guess I should since the activity is on this Thursday and I still have quite a bit more to do before that day. Wish me luck; I’m REALLY going to need it.

2 comments:

dyan said...

Hope it all went well - I'm waiting for some pictures!

Monica said...

Thanks for the reminder and they are coming. :>