Thursday, July 29

Activity Day Quilts

Well I finally have a moment to blog today. Things have been crazy here so when I can blog I feel like a miracle has just happened. Sorry but this will probably be the only post for today. But I wanted to let you know how the mini quilts for activity day went. First off, I was able to get everything cut out for the girls quilts and all the other materials that I need for them just in time. I also managed to barley finish my quilt two hours before the activity started. But here is a picture of my quilt for you to see what kind of things are going to be in each block.Remember the girls quilts are NOT going to be this big. Mine is only this large because I decided to do all of the Articles of Faith for the girls to see how they will look on their own quilts. So just try and picture a small 9 block size quilt. Another thing, my quilt looks a lot larger in the picture then what it is in person but it still was a lot of work to get done in a week. I also know that in my picture you can see on the bottom that it isn't sewn shut but that is because I took this picture in the morning (I finished the quilt in the afternoon).
.
I guess it is kind of hard to see what is in each block with some so I'm just going to tell you what each of the nine blocks will have in them (you can skip this part if you really don't care). Also to let you know that each one of these blocks reflect something that we focus on in activity day. Like the entire quilt represents developing our talents.
.
1st block: The girls pick their favorite Article of Faith, even if they haven't memorized it yet, and writes it on with a Sharpe of any color they want. So of course this block represents our focus on learning the Articles of Faith.
.
2nd block: Is completely devoted to their first name and the year. I'm doing this block because it is a good way for the girls to know which quilt is theirs but it also reminds them that they are an individual too in our activity day.
.
3rd block: I gave them two options which were to write, "I Will Follow Him," or, "I Will Walk In His Ways." Then in the middle of that block they put their footprint on it. I was hoping with doing this that the girls would remember that they need to follow Christ and look towards him for strength and developing their testimonies.
.
4th block: Has the same kind of concept as the 3rd but is used for them to put a hand print in the middle. I have them writing, "I Can Give A Helping Hand." The reason for me doing this block is because another leader thought that since we have them doing a footprint they should do a hand print too. It was kind of a challenge for me to think how to have it represent one of the things that we do. But then it hit me, SERVICE! We use our hands to help other out and thus the block was created.
.
5th block: (Which we didn't get to this last time) Is also a painting one that takes a lot of time but is one of my favorites. I have the girls write in the middle of the block, "Stand For Truth And Righteousness," which is part of what the Young Women quote each Sunday. Then I have them pick one stamp pattern. They have to paint all of the Young Women Value colors, in order, onto that block. It turns out super cute!
.
6th block: Was/is the trickiest block to do. I got some stitch witchery for the girls to use. I guess doing this was kind of a selfish reason too. I have always wanted to use stitch witchery but never got the chance to test it out so I am doing that with activity day. Lucky for me it was easy enough to figure out and kind of fun too. I think the girls will like it. So for this block I have the girls write, "Let Your Light So Shine," at the top of the block. Next they take pieces of fabric, that are already prepared, which happen to be cut out in a shape of a candle burning. There are four piece total so not to hard to get the layering right. Once they have all of the pieces they place them onto the fabric and just iron them on. Simple enough but a good way for the girls to develop that skill more. I want this block to remind the girls of sharing their testimony with others. Like how in Mathew 5:15 it says, "Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house."
.
7th block: This was one of the very first blocks that I knew what I wanted to do. The girls will be writing, "I Am A Child Of God." But the fun part for them is that they are going to be putting a picture of themselves under those words. I took my camera to this last activity and took pictures of each of the girls. I decided that since this was their quilt and I wanted their own personalities to show that I would let them pick where (outside) they wanted their picture taken and in what pose too. Some of them got very creative but I think those photos show their personality perfectly. The whole reason that I am doing this block is to remind them of who they are.
.
8th block: Is a lot like the 7th in that we will be ironing on a picture but this time it is of the Temple (our temple here). I am going to have the girls write, "I Love To See The Temple," at the top again. I also love how this block turns out.
.
9th block: Finally the last block is probably the most special in my opinion. This is the only block that the girls are NOT going to be doing. Reason is because it will be a surprise for them. I went to each one of their parents or a loved one and got them to write a sweet little note about everything that they loved about their girl. Then I took that note and wrote it on the block for the girls to have later. They will only see this block when I give them their finished quilts.
.
But that is the gist of the quilts. At the moment I have eleven that I will be sewing together. I might actually end up with thirteen but we will have to wait and see what happens. Not to thrilled about that but I sure hope that it will be worth it in the end. All I really want in the end is for the girls to one day look back and remember how much I cared about them and wanted them to know who they are and how special they truly are too. OH! I almost forgot to tell you that I did add to my craziness a little and let the girls pick what color of fabric they wanted for in between the blocks and the backing. It had to be the same color so I could work with it. For the most part the girls stayed pretty simple but two made it a challenge for me to find what they wanted. Thankfully Heavenly Father is looking out for me because I was able to find both EXACTLY how they wanted it. Now to just get it all cut out and everything ready again for the next activity day which is next week! AHHHHHH!!!! Hopefully we will be able to get every block done this next time but if not I guess it can't be helped. At least I know that when we do the progressive dinner for the parents the quilts will be a big hit. They are right now.

2 comments:

dyan said...

Monica, you are amazing!! What a wonderful quilt and what ALOT of work. I'm just so impressed. I bet the girls loved this activity and I bet you did alot of work helping "your girls"

Monica said...

So far the girls seem to be having fun, even our shy ones. It has been a LOT of work in preparing for it by myself but at least I have two other leaders and a friend helping me exicute it at the moment.