Thursday, August 6

Cold Zig Zag Quilt

Quilt shows are fun and inspiring but BAD when it makes you want to do more projects over the ones you already have.  Yes, it is really my fault and not the quilt shows fault.  At the show I got a coupon for a FREE yard of fabric from this one store and I rushed over their with each kid to let them pick out a fabric that they liked so I could turn it into a blanket for them.
 
Seth picked out this blue penguin fabric.  That's my boy.  I did know, at least for his quilt, right away the design I wanted to turn it into.  I have been wanting to try this quick method style for awhile so I was very excited. 

Seth has also been so excited about me working on this quilt for him that he has had to help with the entire process.

He helped me lay the fabric out and cut it into pieces.  He was allowed to hold the lower end of the ruler so no little fingers would get in the way.

He was also a good boy at putting the scraps in the trash pile and the block piece in a pile all their own.  Of course once I was done he wanted to do his own project.  Still not sure what he was trying to make.

After I got the pieces in blocks I had to lay the thing out to see the size I was working with.
 
Here is the real top to bottom view.  Now sewing it together was a entirely new challenge because you had to do it in sideways rows.  A very difficult task when you do your sewing at night and actually have to think of the pattern you are doing.  But I did manage and I think it looks pretty good.  Just a boarder, backing and top quilting to do and this will be ready for him soon enough.

No comments: